Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Madison Marathon 2010

So, Sunday May 30, 2010, I completed one of my goals for 2010. I ran in the Madison Quarter Marathon. For those of you unfamiliar with how far that is, it is 6.55 miles. I have never run in a race before. I am not a distance type of runner. I trained from January until race day. First doing the Couch to 5K Program and then a training schedule for a 10K. I am very happy and proud to say I finished the race. I am not going to lie, it was hard. It was so hot and humid that day. They actually stopped the race later due to people collapsing and such. Basically no shade, a few hills, only 2 water stops and it was enough to make me want to quit. My fingers swelled like sausages and started to tingle during the final mile. I have to say though, coming in the final stretch, seeing so many people cheering and the feeling that consumes you knowing you just completed something many people have not done is the best in the world. As I sprinted across that finish line I felt such relief that it was over, but also a sense of pride and accomplishment. I did it and I know I can do anything I put my mind to. This is something I want to teach Lauren. I have decided to keep my marathon medal in a safe place and pass it onto Lauren on her graduation day as a symbol that she can also do anything she puts her mind to. No goal is out of reach when you have heart and determination. Oh, and that other personal goal to finish in under an hour and a half....my official time 1:25:50.7! I DID IT!!



My bib


Our race tee and timing chip



A pre-race picture with my friends, Melissa and Amber



No comments: